Thursday, June 10, 2010

I Spy

Today two of my three children were sick. One had scarlet fever and the other had strep throat. Today they sat on the couch and watched endless hours of Disney Channel, sipped water, and slept on and off. The baby drove his trucks over their feverish bodies and ate Nilla Wafers. Since it was obvious we weren't going anywhere, I decided to work on my cousin's son's quilt. Jayce was born in February, and I had yet to put his quilt together. This is an original quilt pattern that I call "I Spy". I throw in various novelty fabrics in random patterns so the child can spend hours looking for various pictures. It is a fun quilt to make, and a fun quilt to study.

While I was working at the machine, I began to think about connections between people and time. I saw an article yesterday about a couple who realized they had been at the Magic Kingdom on the same day when they were toddlers. They had a picture to prove it. What a wild story!

This quilt has scraps of fabric from many old projects I have completed. It also has scraps from projects that were completed all over the country. I order and exchange fabric with ladies all over the country, mostly through ebay. The cool thing is that all those pieces are now connected in the quilt through common thread and seams. They are small pieces reworked into a new whole. Awesome!



It reminds me of the part of the creed that talks about "The Communion of the Saints". With Jesus as the essential common thread, believers everywhere and through time are connected in a heavenly quilt. Wow! It amazes me, and it makes me wonder what my scrap in the kingdom quilt will be. Will it be decorated with my parenting, teaching, friendships, or charity? God is the quilter and creator in this quilt. I am a scrap in His hands. It is exciting to be "pieced" into His master plan. He will put me where I am needed, where my colors and texture will complement and support those around me.


I need to remember this analogy when I feel unhappy about a situation (such as having two sick children on a beautiful summer day). God pieced me here for a reason. I am needed. It is part of the plan. There is more to plan than just my piece, I am part of a whole. I can count an trust the Master Quilter, this is His quilt. I can rely on the other "pieces" He put around me for strength and support.


Well, the quilt top is complete. It is impressive, but it has small imperfections... a few flipped seams, two missplaced squares, a few wavy seams. I am human. Thankfully, the Master Quilt is not!

I almost forgot to mention this detail. The baby boy this quilt is being made for is named Jayce. His parents chose this name in honor of their Savior, Jesus Christ. Beautiful!



Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. after many attempts and a few tissues, I was finally able to read your post today. I am in awe and deep thought of your analogy. What a beautiful expression of faith and an amazing way to describe our part in all of this.

    You have such a way with words. Thank you for encouragement through these words. I will forever look at quilts differently and I am so grateful to be part of the Master Quilt.

    Love you

    ReplyDelete